The email is a sham, and recipients that click the embedded verification link will be taken to a spoofed Facebook login page designed to steal their login information.
Users may not suspect that something is amiss until they’re redirected to the ‘Help’ section of the real Facebook site after supplying their login credentials, but the damage will already have been done at that point.
The miscreants behind this scam will already have the victim’s login information, which can be used to take over the victim’s Facebook account and pose as the victim and/or launch additional scam/spam campaigns.
Here’s an example of an email associated with this scam:
Dear Facebook user, After reviewing your page activity, it was determined that you were in violation of our Terms of service.Your account might be permanently suspended.
If you think this is a mistake,please verify your account on the link below.This would indicate that your Page does not have a violation on our Terms of Service.
We will immediately review your account activity,and we will notify you again via email.
Verify your account at the link below:
Protect Your Facebook Account
Users can minimize their chances of falling for this Facebook phishing scam – or any others by following these few bits of advice:
- Access your account safely by manually typing in the URL in your address bar or using your bookmarks instead of following hyperlinks.
- Always double-check the URL in your address bar before entering any confidential information, including login credentials.
- Beef up your Facebook account security by enabling login notifications and login approvals.
Did You Fall for This Scam?
If you have already fallen for this scam:
- Change your password immediately - if you still can.
- Check out the 'Hacked Accounts' section of Facebook's Help Center.
Don’t miss out on the latest tech news and computer security alerts! Follow us on Twitter at @hyphenet, “Like” us on Facebook or add us to your circle on Google+.