Monday, July 16, 2012

LinkedIn Spam Asks to Share Your Contacts, Links to Rx Sites

LinkedInIs someone from LinkedIn really interested in posting your contact information on their website?

It’s quite an odd request, and I’m not sure if I’d be all that comfortable with some random person placing my contact information on their website.  I do appreciate the fact that I was asked for permission first, though.

Either way, I won’t have to worry all that much – and neither will you – as it’s not a legitimate request, but one meant to piqué your interest just enough for you to click without thinking to look at the destination URL first.

How else would spammers get you to visit their pharmacy sites?

With that said, if you receive an email like the one below, don’t click on any links.

LinkedIn 'Can I share your contacts?' Spam



From: Sharon Bennett via LinkedIn (member@linkedin.com)
Subject: Can I place your contacts on my site?

LinkedIn

Sharon Bennett has sent you a message.

Date: 07/15/2012

Subject: Can i place your contacts on my site?

Hello!
Can i place your contacts on my site?

View/reply to this message

Don't want to receive e-mail notifications? Adjust your message settings.

© 2012, LinkedIn Corporation

If you do, you will be directed to a Canadian Rx website, not LinkedIn. Big surprise, right?

What to do with LinkedIn Spam



  • Avoid clicking on any links or downloading any attached files.

  • Report the email via SpamCop or LinkedIn (via abuse@linkedin.com).

  • Delete the email immediately.


Have you received any LinkedIn spam emails lately?

Don’t miss out on the latest tech news and computer security alerts! Follow us on Twitter at @hyphenet, “Like” us on Facebook or add us to your circle on Google+.

No comments:

Post a Comment